Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Things I Love About Memphis: Confederate Carriages

So today we're taking a break from this whole unemployment business. I mean there are only so many exciting things I can tell you guys about my life knocking on doors and making phone calls and sending e-mails. There are only so many inexpert opinions I can come up with, only so much entertaining drivel that I have inside of me. I'm only one man, ok? Stop expecting so much--I mean I am unemployed after all.

But luckily when all your creative energies are tapped and your exhausted from all those rejections, the good city of Memphis is there to console you, to pull you into her big, soft arms and hold your head against her chest and tell you everything is going to be alright--like some Stay-Puft version of Aunt Jemima. It sounds a little weird, but it's true. If I ever had to pick something to personify Memphis, I would pick a giant-sized version of Aunt Jemima. Maybe this is outlandish, but still right as I was beginning to get fed up with this city and it's reluctance for hiring college graduates, I saw this coming home one night and my faith and love for the city was completely restored. What follows has not been doctored or edited in any way, but the quality isn't great so look closely:


Now, just in case you can't see the video too well, let me give you a still shot that's blurry, but should give you an idea of just what exactly is going on here:

















Do not attempt to adjust your computer. Yes, that is a rotund man with porkchops and a beard wearing a Confederate battle flag shirt driving a white carriage with colored lights down Third Street. Where else in the world could you see this but in Memphis? Also, let me remind you that this happened on the weekend of the Jackson v. Tennessee State football game, two colleges that have a majority of African-American students and who absolutely pack Beale St out every year after the game. Where was this guy coming from? Beale St, after the game. There are a lot of things I could say about this, but I think the first thing that comes to my mind is: How is this ok? This guy is driving a carriage down the road WEARING a Confederate flag during one of the weekends with the highest African-American traffic. Now, I don't think this guy meant anything by his shirt. I mean if you could see him a little bit better you would know that there is no malice in this man. He looks like a young Confederate Santa Claus, not a KKK member. He's just so proud to have southern blood in his veins that he has no other recourse, but to wear his pride. At least, this is my speculation. You decide for yourselves what you think of my Confederate Santa. All I know is that as odd and contradictory as it all might be, he lifted my unemployed spirits and gave me a little inspiration. Who knows, if this goes on much longer I may be out there wearing a Confederate flag and driving a carriage. So, here's to you Confederate Flag Wearing Carriage Driver--Here's to you.



2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE IT. slash... i'm not sure if this makes me love Memphis enough to come back to it or just love it enough to laugh at it from a distance.

    ReplyDelete